AirPods pair with MacBooks very easily, but HP laptops or desktops, for example, are much more challenging. It’s not your fault. AirPods are designed to work seamlessly across all modern Apple devices, but as AirPods rely on Bluetooth technology, they can also be used with any Bluetooth-enabled device.
Due to this, AirPods are compatible with Windows laptops and desktops, but only if they are connected through Bluetooth (with some desktops, you may need either a USB or PCI-Express Bluetooth adapter). Should we talk specifically, yes, the AirPods can be used with all modern HP laptops, so you do not have to own a MacBook to use your Apple AirPods if your laptop supports Bluetooth.
How to Connect AirPods to HP Laptop
To connect your AirPods to your HP laptop with Windows 10, or Windows 11, follow this short, simple tutorial below:
First the AirPods
- Put your AirPods into your case, and close it.
- After a couple of seconds, open the charging case, press and hold the setup button till the front status light will flash white a couple of times.
- Your AirPods are now in setup mode and are ready to pair.
Continue on your HP Laptop
- In your bottom taskbar, click inside the search field and type “Bluetooth”.
- Click Enter or select the Bluetooth and other devices options the system found
- If the Bluetooth switch is in the Off position, turn the Bluetooth on and then click on Add Bluetooth or other device.
- An ‘Add Device’ window will pop up, where you’ll select Bluetooth.
- If you turned your AirPods via its Setup button, as shown above, your AirPods will show up in the Bluetooth device’s selection. If they don’t show up, take the AirPods out of the case, put them back in and press the setup button again. Click on selection in the Add a device window.
6. Windows will now connect to your AirPods. This usually takes a couple of seconds. Once they’re paired, click Done.
Your AirPods will try to automatically reconnect every time you turn them on while your laptop is on. If you don’t want to use them, disconnecting them is also very easy.
How to disconnect AirPods from laptop
- As above, write Bluetooth into the Windows Search bar and click Enter.
- Turn the Bluetooth OFF.
or an even easier/faster option:
- On the right-side corner of your Window’s taskbar, click on the square icon.
- Then simply click on the Bluetooth tile to turn it off.
I can’t connect AirPods to my laptop
Sometimes you might find that your AirPods, or basically any Bluetooth headphones or earbuds, won’t just connect to your laptop. It may often be, that the device’s Bluetooth pair memory is full. AirPods and other headphones can only remember a few devices to pair with.
To solve this issue, unpair your AirPods or other headphones from other devices. This can be done either from your iPad, iPhone or other mobile devices.
- Open the phone’s Settings and go Bluetooth.
- Continue to the currently paired Devices list and tap the “i” by the AirPods.
- A dropdown will roll out where you just click on Forget This Device option.
- Your AirPods are now unpair from your device and you can try to pair them with your HP laptop again.