If you’re having trouble remembering your WiFi password and want to share it with a friend or visitor, Apple offers a handy tool that lets you share your iPhone’s WiFi password. This is designed to help you easily connect other devices to your network without having to remember your password, you just need to have an existing device connected to your WiFi network.
This can come in handy when you have friends nearby that you want to allow to use your WiFi, or when you’re setting up a new device, such as a new iPhone or iPad, or even a new Mac.
It’s much easier than remembering a password and also manually adding it to another device. Follow the steps below to use this handy tool to help you set up WiFi on other devices on your network.
iOS Wi-Fi password share requirements
Apple makes it quick and easy to share Wi-Fi passwords between other Apple devices. Note that there isn’t a built-in way to share Wi-Fi passwords from Apple to Android devices.
Before you can share your Wi-Fi network password, confirm both Apple devices meet these requirements:
- Make sure each device has the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or macOS.
- For each device, turn on WiFi and Bluetooth.
- Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID. Double-check that your Apple ID email address is saved in the other person’s contacts, and make sure you have their email address saved in your Contacts.
- Make sure the devices are in the Bluetooth and WiFi range of each other.
How do I share my iPhone’s WiFi password?
- What you’ll need to do first is open the device you want to connect to your WiFi network.
- Then you need to go to Settings > WiFi and select the WiFi network you want to connect to. You will then be prompted to enter your password on that device.
- When the password prompt appears on the new device, open the iPhone or iPad connected to the WiFi network and go to the home screen. Place the device near the new device you want to connect to your WiFi network.
- A pop-up window will appear on the screen asking you to confirm sharing your password with this new device. Click the Share Password button on the iPhone and the password will be shared to the new device.
- You can then click Done on your iPhone and the new device is now connected to your WiFi network and is set up and ready to use.
The new device or your friend’s device will be able to connect to your WiFi network whenever it’s within range, as the password is automatically stored on the new device. This is handy for family members or friends who visit you regularly as they will be able to easily connect to your WiFi network.
This is a very useful feature if you want someone to easily connect to the WiFi network in your home or office without having to remember the network password, especially if it’s really complex one. It’s also much faster than manually entering a password when setting up a new device. We hope you find this guide useful, and if you have any comments or questions, please leave us a comment below.
How to share a WiFi password from Mac to iPhone
- Make sure your device (Mac) is unlocked and connected to a WiFi network.
- On a foreign device (iPhone) or on the device you want to connect to, select the WiFi network.
- Then, on your device (Mac), tap Share Password when prompted.
- Finally, tap Done.
After enabling WiFi password sharing, just tap on the foreign device to connect to WiFi without entering the network password. Then you can connect to the internet when you need to get an internet connection without knowing the WiFi password.
How to share WiFi password from iPhone to Mac
You can use the WiFi menu to quickly connect to a nearby wireless network.
- Make sure your iPhone is unlocked and connected to a WiFi network.
- On your Mac, click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar and select a Wi-Fi network from the list. When prompted, don’t enter the network password.
- On your iPhone, tap Share password. On the Mac, a password field will appear and it will auto-populate and connect immediately. After successfully sharing the Wi-Fi password, then tap Done.
Sharing a Wi-Fi password with Android
Android devices use a QR code that makes it easy to share Wi-Fi passwords. The good news is that this makes it possible to share Wi-Fi passwords from Android devices to Apple devices.
Before you can share a Wi-Fi password, make sure your device is running Android 10 or later and that you’re connected to the network you want to share.
Once you’ve set this up, here’s how to share your Wi-Fi password with an Android device:
- On your Android device, go to the Settings menu.
- Tap Connection. Depending on your Android device, you may see the Network and Security option.
- Tap the gear icon next to the name of the network you want to share.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the QR code. A unique QR code will be generated that you can save and share with the contact.
- To access the network without entering a password, the guest must open their default camera app and scan the code from your screen.
- After scanning the QR code, the guest just needs to follow the instructions to connect.