Using your phone to many daily activities has become a new normal. Everything around us is trying to accommodate to this new trend and Airplay 2 makes it a whole new experience.
What is Apple Airplay
Airplay is a wireless technology developed and patented by Apple which allows us to stream content wirelessly between two devices on the same network.
The streamed content might be of any type, for instance, a document streamed between your MacBook or desktop Mac and a compatible printer or your iPhone streaming your videos to a smart TV or streaming music to your wireless speakers as long as all devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
See also: New iPhone 12 Review
What is Apple Airplay 2
Following the original Airplay, the Apple Airplay 2 lets you have even more control over compatible devices from Apple’s HomeKit Edition such as Wi-Fi smart locks, lighting, switches and smart plugs, thermostats, Cameras and security devices or sound streaming devices.
With Airplay 2, you can stream music to multiple speakers simultaneously, creating a full-fledged sound system.
Multi room support
Thanks to the HomeKit platform devices, you can use an app to label them and use Siri to control each of them. You can tell Siri “Hey Siri, play Red Hot Chilli Peppers in kitchen.” to stream music only in your selected room.
As Airplay 2 can also be used to stream video, more and more smart TV models from reputable manufactures such as Samsung, LG, Vizio or Sony now support this function natively in some of their TV’s.
Airplay Samsung TV
Samsung has been one of the first manufactures to implement Apple’s feature. The TV app on Samsung TV looks almost the same as the TV app on Apple TV, offering all the possible features.
You can AirPlay music to your Samsung TV, AirPlay content from apps like YouTube, or AirPlay TV shows and movies. AirPlay functionality works from within apps or through the Control Center where AirPlay options are located.
See also: How to choose the right 4K TV in 2020
Which Samsung TV has Airplay 2
Currently these Samsung Smart TV support the Airplay 2:
- Samsung FHD/HD 4, 5 Series (2018)
- Samsung QLED 4K Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9 Series (2018, 2019)
- Samsung QLED 8K Q9 Series (2019)
- Samsung The Frame Series (2018, 2019)
- Samsung Serif Series (2019)
- Samsung UHD 6, 7, 8 Series (2018, 2019)
Which LG TV has Airplay 2
- LG OLED (2019, 2020)
- LG NanoCell NANO 9, 8 series (2020)
- LG UHD UN 8 series (2020)
- LG UHD UN 71 series or above (2020)
- LG NanoCell SM 9, 8 series (2019)
- LG UHD UM 7, 6 series (2019)
Which Sony TV has Airplay 2
- Sony Z8H Series (2020)
- Sony A9S Series (2020)
- Sony A8H Series (2020)
- Sony X95H Series (2020)
- Sony X90H Series (2020)
- Sony X85H Series (2020
- Sony X80H Series (2020)
- Sony Z9G Series (2019)
- Sony A9G Series (2019)
- Sony X950G Series (2019)
- Sony X850G Series (2019 55”, 65”, 75” and 85” models)
- Sony Z9F Series (2018)
- Sony A9F Series (2018)
Which Vizio TV has Airplay 2
- VIZIO OLED (2020)
- VIZIO P-Series Quantum X (2019, 2020)
- VIZIO P-Series Quantum (2018, 2019, 2020)
- VIZIO P-Series (2016, 2017, 2018)
- VIZIO M-Series Quantum (2019, 2020)
- VIZIO M-Series (2016, 2017, 2018)
- VIZIO E-Series (2016, 2017 and 2018 UHD models)
- VIZIO V-Series (2019, 2020)
- VIZIO D-Series (2018, 2019)
All Airplay 2-enabled devices
You can see the full list of AirPlay 2 compatible devices such as thermostats, switches, sprinkles, speakers, sensors, receivers on Apple’s official website.
There are a few things you may try if you are having some most common issues.
Airplay on Samsung TV is not working
- Make sure the device you are trying to stream the content from and your TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Turn the Bluetooth off and on your iOS device.
- Turn the TV off and unplug from the socket for 5 minutes before turning back on.
- Make sure you have the most recent iOS. If not, update your iPhone’s or Mac OS system to the newest version
- Make sure you have an Apple TV app installed on your TV and set up correctly.
- Reboot your Wi-Fi router
- Check your AirPlay settings and restriction.
Airplay on Mac is not working
You may need to check if your Mac’s Firewall isn’t blocking AirPlay
- Go to Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall.
- Open the Firewall Options and make sure Block all incoming connections isn’t turned on.
- Check the box to Automatically allow built-in software to receive incoming connections.